Director David Lynch sat down with The Atlantic to talk ideas & inspiration. He compares ideas to fish in a pond that just need to be caught. I love this metaphor, and the concept that ideas and inspiration are all around us because... well, they are! Some days it feels like we are on the slow train to nowhere and other days we are on fire. The difference all comes down to our mindset; how open we are to receiving inspiration & the belief that we have the ability to turn those ideas into reality. Every single person has a completely unique view of the human experience, and that means a brand new innovative perspective on how to interact with the world around us. Ideas can be sparked anywhere anytime, we just need to tune in to them, catch them, and piece them together.
Here are some steps to open your mind up to new ideas and then turn them into reality:
1. Set an intent - first things first, take a moment to get clear on the creative endeavour you're pursuing and why its important to you.
2. Create some space - you wont be receptive to anything new if you're racing around and stressed out so give yourself some space where you're free to embrace the new.
3. Draw from personal experiences - chances are if you have been affected by something others will be able to identify with it as well so be true to yourself and what your learnt.
4. Discover your crossroads - by combining different areas of your interests & talents you can create something truly unique so map out where your junctures lie.
5. Write it down - Groundbreaking ideas can happen when you least expect them so make sure to make a note or reminder to reference later.
6. Break it down - Okay, now that you've uncovered this creative idea, break in down into small manageable steps & know that you have the ability to make it happen.
7. Take action - You know what you want to do, why you want to do it, and how to make it happen so all thats left to do is make the moves!